Latest press release from Simon Harris TD, issued on Thursday, March 2nd…
Wicklow TD Minister Simon Harris has confirmed progress on plans for five primary care centres in Co Wicklow.
- In Bray the HSE will provide a new Primary Care Centre through their operational lease mechanism. A location has been selected and the developer has been granted planning permission. Works are expected to begin in July 2017. This Primary Care Centre should be fully up and running by mid 2019.
- A new Primary Care Centre for Greystones was included in the most recent national advertisement seeking expressions of interest for the provision of Primary Care Team accommodation via the HSE’s Primary Care Operational Lease Mechanism. The HSE received expressions of interest under stage 1 of the EOI process and have proceeded to stage 2 of the evaluation process, whereby further information including declaration of GP interest in operating from the proposed centre will be requested from qualifying applicants. The HSE are working to move to stage 3 where interested parties with viable submissions will be requested to submit priced offers. Depending on the outcome of the selection process, it is expected that a preferred provider will be selected within in the next few months and that works will have commenced on a new Primary Care Centre in Greystones within the next 2 years.
- In Arklow, a Letter of Intent has been issued to the preferred provider for delivery of the Primary Care Centre and the HSE expect to enter into an Agreement for Lease by the end of April 2017. The design process of the Primary Care Centre has commenced. A planning application is expected to be submitted this summer with planning approval expected by the beginning of 2018. Construction is expected to commence in 2018 with completion expected by the end of 2019. The services to be provided at the Primary Care Centre are Primary Care Services (including dental services and addiction services), Adult Mental Health Services, Care Doc and diagnostics.
- Rathdrum Primary Care Centre has received planning permission and the design process is almost complete. Construction is expected to commence in the coming months with completion expected by the end of 2018.
- Blessington Primary Centre is complete and is in the process of being equipped. GP services are in place and are fully operational. Community Nursing, Phsyiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Primary Care Dental Services will all operate from the building, as well as access to Adult Mental Health Clinics and Primary Care Counselling services. HSE services will have moved in and will commence delivering services from the centre in the next week or so, with full operational capacity in early April 2017.
Commenting Minister Harris said: “The reality of the situation today is that far too many people are finding themselves in our acute hospitals because, quite frankly, they don’t have the developed primary care centres in the community.”
Mr Harris said a number of steps are required in order to roll out greater primary care, including new contracts for GPs.
“Rolling out primary care centres is a significant first step in delivering full community based health care – we now need to move on to the next building blocks. That includes a new GP contract, looking at what services can be provided in the community and how we resource them. We need to look at what enhanced role our pharmacists, our GPs, our public health nurses can play in the community and support them in this.”
“I am delighted that we will soon have five new primary care centres for our community in Wicklow. I will continue to work hard on this issue with the HSE and the local community.”