It will undoubtedly be an emotional and sombre final farewell for the last of Delgany’s Carmelite nuns as they seal a €15m deal for their historic Delgany monastery.
Sold off-market, the church and its grounds have been part of Delgany’s daily lives since 1844.
And now, it’s all going to be houses – 200, it’s estimated – on the grounds surrounding the 19th century landmark.
It was on December 7th, 1844 that this Delgany church first opened its doors, and it was on February 3rd this year that the very last mass was held, and the gates were locked. In the intervening months, with the graves of past residents having been moved to Kilquade cemetery, it’s believed only two Sister Monica and Sister Gwen were still living in the building during the year.
Now, they too have gone, to the Carmelite community in Kilmacud, property developer Cedar Building Company – owned by Wicklow ‘s Eddie Holly – are getting ready to move in. Thankfully, the church itself and the convent building are listed.
When it comes to that new Delgany estate, sadly, the name Churchlands has already been taken around here.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.