We’ve been trying to pull together a history of Killincarrig for quite some time now, but, the archives haven’t exactly been forthcoming…
The earliest mention we could find of the place was in 1837’s A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.
The entry read…
KILLINCARRIG, a village, in the parish of DELGANY, barony of RATHDOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, ½ a mile (E. N. E.) from Delgany, on the road from Bray to Wicklow; containing 23 houses and 168 inhabitants. Killincarrick House, the seat of A. Jones, Esq., is situated in grounds tastefully laid out and commanding very fine mountain and sea views: in the demesne are the ivy-clad remains of an ancient castle, in which several silver coins of William III. were discovered in 1833. Mr. Jones has an extensive flour-mill here.
Hugh Mooney 1924
Pop into The Carraig bar (formerly The Orchard Inn, formerly P.J. O’Connor’s pub, etc) and you’ll find a framed photo with its own little slice of Killincarrig history…
Killincarrig stands upon a considerable eminence, commanding views both of the sea and of the mountain inland, and although the village is of considerable antiquity, the old houses have nearly all disappeared, and have been replaced by dwellings of a modern type.
The Orchard 1990
In 1641, some troops quartered in a temporary barrack in this village to protect the property of residents in the neighbourhood. In connection with the sojourn of this garrison, it is recorded in Dudley Loftus’s minutes of the Courts Martial at Dublin Castle that one Kathleen Farrell was arrested in Killincarrig as a spy, taken to Dublin, and sentenced to be hanged, which sentence, it may be presumed, was duly carried out. Another case from the same locality was that of John Bayly, a soldier, who was tried for desertion. As the penalty for this offence was usually death, there must have been some extenuating circumstances in his case, as he was merely sentenced to run the gauntlet of the soldiers stationed at Killincarrig, the soldiers armed with switches, and the culprit with his back bare and his hands tied behind him.
The teenage Charlie
The carrying out of this sentence probably provided a pleasant day’s amusement for the inhabitants of the village, who doubtless had anything but friendly feelings for the soldiers quartered there, and were heartily glad when the time came for their departure. At a distance of about half a mile from Killincarrig is the pretty village of Delgany, picturesquely situated no a rising ground, in the midst of an undulating and richly-wooded country, and adjoining the southern entrance to the Glen of the Downs. Immediately below the village is the deep-wooded valley of the Three Trout River.
There are other small chunks of history that we hope to unearth over the coming weeks and add here – such as Mary Whelan’s list of Lower Mill Road residents, in the comments blow, and tales of only being allowed to speak Irish in Clarke’s shop – but, for now, we thought it might be wise to talk to two dyed-in-the-wool villagers who, unlike GG, might actually know what they’re talking about – the mighty Charlie O’Reilly and the even mightier Ethel Jacobson.
Both Charlie and Ethel have family going back generations in Killincarrig, and, more importantly, they grew up among its shops and houses, tea room and bar, its people and its stories. We’ll be adding to this history over time (including our ever-evolving Killincarrig Castlearchive), so, if you have any pics or stories, send ’em on in email@example.com, and we’ll add them here. Just, you know, keep it clean…
Killincarrig with Cherry Orchard & Provisions Store
Killincarrig Village Postcard published by GL Pepper, Greystones
That Pepper 1910 postcard in living colour
Killincarrig Castle, returning to earth…
Lodge at Killincarrig Crossroads, home to Bridget & Michael O’Reilly, head shepherd for the Burnaby Estate
Killincarrig Rush Hour
Beautiful Killincarrig (Private Collection) Peter Growney
Killincarrig Cottage, still standing, 1980s…
Killincarrig Cottage in its prime…
Michael Gammell took over John Clarke’s shop, who traded for over 100 years in Killincarrig
Clarke’s Shop, Killincarrig
Jack and Joan Clarke outside their Killincarrig shop 1983
The Orchard Inn Killincarrig Source Jamie McDonald
Killincarrig In Full Bloom 20FEB17
Killincarrig Castle Dec 2016
Charlie O’Reilly & Jimmy Clarke, Castle Field circa 1954
Charlie O’Reilly’s grandparents, Bridget & Michael c.1933
Killincarrig Cowboys Jack Clarke, Charlie O’Reilly, Brendan Hayden, Alan Hayden & Jimmy Clarke Castle Villas circa 1954
May, Alan & Bernie Hayden with Charlie O’Reilly, 3 Castle Villas c.1956
Alan Hayden, Castle Villas 1951
Pat & Tess Byrne outside The Cherry Orchard Mon 27th June 1951
Afternoon tea in the Cherry Orchard, Killincarrig
Mrs Annie O’Connor, prop of PJ O’Connor’s pub
Marie O’Connor, Dan Green & friend, 1950.
George & Jackie Campbell. Source: Una Campbell
The bould Martin!
Orchard United, sometime in the 1970s. Or the 1870s. Not sure.
Orchard United, Killincarrig 1976-77. Pic: John McGowan
Orchard Girls 1975
Downey Family Killincarrig. Pic: John McGowan
Marie Nolan (nee O’Toole), Jimmy O’Toole and Helen Maher (nee O’Toole) from Killincarrig. Pic: John McGowan