And so the long, long weekend is finally over, the 8th and final count on Sunday evening in Greystones’ local elections taking us down the Sacred Six…
It hasn’t been an election of too many shocks, but, people are definitely surprised to see Sinn Fein councillor Nicola Lawless lose her seat, and not all that surprised to see the Green Party’s Lourda Scott doing so well.
The other distinct changing of the guard happened at the 11th hour, Independent newbie Mags Crean taking a winning leap on that very last count, from 7th to 5th place.
Jumping back to Sunday, 3.20am, and with 9,807 votes counted, and 1,402 being the quota needed, Jennifer Whitmore was the first to be officially elected, scoring a hearty 1,920 votes.
First past the post. That’s what you get for being a community busy body. And for being part of a party that no one has any strong feelings against, or about.
Next up for a rosette, with 1,453 votes, it was veteran Independent Tom Fortune, elected on the second count Sunday morning – once all the cards with bite marks kicked in – followed by Green Party candidate Lourda Scott, elected on the 7th count with 1,613 votes.
Not too far behind, another veteran, Fianna Fail’s Gerry Walsh, with 1,348 votes, thanks to a late boost from the excluded running mate, Elaine Willis.
Another veteran who did well on the long night of the short knives was Derek Mitchell, with 1,274 votes, but Independent newbie Mags Crean leapfrogged into 5th place, with 1,308 votes. Cruelly just pushed out on the last count was Fine Gael’s new candidate, Alice O’Donnell, with 1,200 votes.
So, not an entirely new dawn for Greystones’ political landscape, but the huge support for The Green Party and the election of fiery independent Mags Crean would suggest quite a few people around here are tired of the old politics.
Out of an electorate of 18,414, there were 9,807 valid votes and 158 spoiled votes, with turnout being 51.4%. The other 48.6% being too busy ranting online about the feckin’ state of the place.
So, congrats to Whitmore, Fortune, Scott, Walsh, Mitchell and Crean. We look forward to a brighter, greener, shinier, safer, smoother, happier and richer life under your wise leadership.
You can check out John McGowan’s pics from the whole weekend here.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.